Saturday 25 February 2017

The first half of some more Marauder MM10s. I loved revisiting these, even copied a couple of my older version colour schemes :-)

Tuesday 17 January 2017

Sorry it's been a while.

This was a recent commission to paint a 30 strong unit of the Marauder MB1 Dwarf Pikes.
It was agreed that I'd try to pay a homage to the great Wayne England's regiment from his Dwarf Army that featured in White Dwarf 144 back in the 90's using a similar green and yellow colour scheme.

The scenic movement tray belongs to my regiment of Marauder Dark Elves but I thought it would show off the Dwarfs a bit better.

Great fun to paint, so much character in the faces too. Hat's off to Aly Morrison for creating such lovely Dwarfs.

Thanks must go to Mathew Street for helping me with choosing  the banner design.

I hope you like them.


Thursday 17 March 2016

Mordheim Plague Cart 

This is what I've been working on lately.

I must admit it was an absolute pain to put together. The base of the cart was warped along with two of the sides too which threw everything out. The gaps were plugged slowly with green stuff. After the first layer cured I found it had shrunk so I started from scratch again.

When I thought I was getting thre I then discovered that the wheels wouldn't fit unless I boosted the height of the axles...

After priming I started on the paint job. Basecoat as vallejo ivory. I then added green oils to weather the cart adding a few streaks here and there. Wood grain was pretty straight forward using variuos browns and beiges to build up the grain.

 The details were done using some Scale 75paints. Using purples, greens and a deep crimson.

 Up next were the wheels and horses. I painted the wheels like this just in case I got metallics on the cart whilst the oils were drying out.

I used a variation on an old rotting flesh recipe for the horse heads..

It only just fits on the base supplied..

 Next up was the freehand designs... 

I used the same unnatural colours on the driver too.

Dry fit before some proper pics :-)

....and the finished article....

Cheers DB.

Tuesday 8 December 2015

Bugman's Keg Of The Covenent

The mission is to create this wagon with Bugman standing at the front of the cart. In order to do that the barrels need to be placed side-on otherwise there's no room for Bugman.

Some of you might recognise the barrels from the old flame cannon kit, they'll need a lot of greenstuff to plug the gaps.

 The other problem was that to fill the holes in the ends of the barrel. I used plastic shields for this. Which leads to another problem, they were now to wide to fit inside the wheels of the cart. I decided to build a couple of trestles for them to sit on so that the shields were now above the top of the cart wheels.

This was another great exercise in practicing wood grain, trying out a new recipe for a dark brassy colour too.

...and the completed piece.